Thursday, May 20, 2010
ABC News Program
I was reading a blog friends post, Big Blueberry Eyes, and wanted to share the video she posted. I haven't seen the show but I guess there is a news program on ABC called, What Would You Do? They have actors act out different scenarios in public and have hidden cameras to see what people do in certain situations. Last night they had a young man with Down syndrome act the part of a bagger at a grocery store and the other actors would make rude comments and call him names. As I watched the video, I was shocked, angry, and even began crying at one point. It breaks my heart to know that people really do things like this on a daily basis, although it might not be so obvious. It brought back the memories of the crazy lady in Safeway that I really just wanted to knock flat on her behind. I hope that as Grace grows up, she will have people come to her defense if that is ever needed. I know that I need to be more aware of situations around me and I hope that if I ever experience anything like this, that Heavenly Father will give me the strength to speak clearly and eloquently because honestly...I would rather just practice my ninja skills on people that are ignorant and should keep their mouths closed tight.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
We watched that last night as well. It hurt my heart to see how ignorant some people can be. I hope other people watched that & had a big wake up call.
Hope you're week is going better. And I hope we get to hang out soon.
You're right, it's so hard to think about what you're going to say before you say or do it, b/c honestly I'm right there with you in other matters with kids! My heart goes out to you. When Hayden had bad eczema I had people comment all the time about why don't I do something, or what is wrong with him, or you should treat that 'poison ivy', it drove me in sane, but eventually I just kept on walking and just acknowledged whatever they said and tried to explain. You're amazing in how you handle everything!
I've never heard of that show before, but I watched that episode online. I was glad to know that those people were just actors,but the sad thing is, I know it happens all the time. I will certainly speak up, though, if I ever see that. Either that or unleash my mad ninja skills. One or the other.
All I can say is WOW!!! I am sure glad that they were actors, but it still bugs because I know that there are people out there who are truly ignorant like that. It is sad. :(
I saw that episode too! It was heartbreaking to watch, I was in tears more than once. Did you notice how almost everyone who said something to the actor had either worked with the handicapped or had a family member with Downs? Seeing people's ignorance and cruelty first hand certainly changes how we see the world doesn't it? I'm so glad that the show chose this topic, hopefully viewers were outraged enough to practice what they would say if ever confronted with this in real life. This type of behavior happens, people need to stand up for what's right!
Post a Comment