Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Therapy

I know, I know...I missed yesterday. However, in my defense, my husband surprised me and took me on a hot date! Which means, not posting cannot be held against me. :-) Anyway, the other day as Grace was working with her developmental therapist--a thought that crosses my mind often, popped in to my head. Sometimes, I feel sorry for Grace. I mean, who likes to be told what to do, and who likes to be forced to do activities you don't really like? Poor Grace gets so frustrated. Lately, when she is upset with her therapist, she will do 1 of 3 things:

1. Hits them (which lands her cute little bottom in the repentance chair for 2 minutes)

2. Puts her head down and refuses to look at the therapist. She does however, occasionally attempt to look at them without moving her head at all. It is quite possible she has made her eyeballs do a complete 360. :-)

3. Goes up to the wall as she whines with her hands over her eyes then hits her hand on the wall and turns to me and signs owie as she walks towards me for sympathy.Like I said, I cannot really blame her for feeling upset and frustrated. I know that therapy is good for her and that because of all the therapy sessions, she is where she is developmentally. But still, sometimes I wish it would all just disappear for her. On Monday's she has developmental therapy (1 hours) and speech therapy (45 minutes). Wednesday is occupational therapy (1 hour) then speech later in the day (45 minutes). Friday, she has physical therapy (1 hour). We will probably be starting some feeding therapy, too. Usually, she also has at least 1 or 2 doctor appointments a week. Luckily, she will no longer have to be dragged to occupational therapy for Grant. He was doing OT for a few weeks but has since been dismissed. They thought he might have some sensory issues but it only took a few weeks of them "treating" him to realize that he does not. Anyway, my point is that Grace is a good sport. She takes everything with ease and tries to make the best of it. I would lock myself in my room and refuse to participate in any of the above activities! Which once again proves my point...Grace teaches me things daily and helps me have a positive attitude. Yay for therapy sessions and doctor appointments!

6 comments:

Ann said...

I've loved all you focus this month on Grace and Down Syndrome. Thanks for the education. I also loved that you use the repentance chair instead of time out. I'll have to adopt that one!

Rochelle Brunson said...

I don't know if I'd go so far as to say "Yay for therapy and doctors appointments", but I understand why you do. You have a very positive attitude about it. Ivy doesn't have physical or speech therapy that often and she finished occupational therapy a while ago. I still hate doing it, and I don't even have to do anything. Ivy loves physical therapy, but HATES speech therapy!

Cameron and Katie said...

First of all, way to go on posting so much, I am loving it! Second, Grace is such a hard worker. Even though she might get frustrated, I am so impressed! I am always trying to teach my girls that the key to success is hard work. Grace is learning that "hands on."

Erin said...

HA! Love love love the repentance chair- that is the best!
Way to work hard Gracie!

Emily said...

Repentance chair... gotta love that!
I totally understand. Justin gets so upset with his Early Intervention Specialist. SO UPSET. He hits her all of the time... but I would too if I was bossed around and doing things I really had no desire to do. Hmmm...
She really is precious!

Unknown said...

I have to be honest I'm a little sad that there were never any pictures taken of me and Grace or even Grant for that matter :(